Polley Family Cemetery
The Polley Family Cemetery was established in 1848 with the first interment being Emeline Elizabeth Polley James, the daughter of Joseph and Mary Polley, who died during childbirth at the age of 17. Joseph and Mary are themselves buried in the family cemetery and at Mary's death, she insisted that the plot of land on which the cemetery sits be kept in the family.
After years of neglect, the cemetery was in need of restoration, and in 2003, John and Shirley Grammer worked tirelessly to clean up and restore the cemetery grounds. In 2005, the site was designated as a Texas State Historic Cemetery, and a marker indicating such was erected in 2006. A flag pole was erected, and flags were donated by Mary Featherston and Glenna Hamley, great granddaughters of Joseph and Mary Polley. The Texas flag few over the Alamo on the evening of May 1, 2004. In 2011, a new 'Polley Cemetery' sign was donated by Claudia and Gary Goldman, and in 2012 a new fence was put up as part of a community effort with donations of materials and time. Today the cemetery is kept cleanly mowed through annual dues from Polley Association members.
For a listing of family members buried in the Polley Cemetery, scroll below.
For a listing of burial locations for other Polley family members, click here.